The initial releases of Apple iOS, Android and Windows Phone were aimed squarely at consumers and
offered few if any features geared to business users. However, all that’s changed in the last few years with the growth of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and Corporate Owned, Personally Enabled (COPE). Increasingly, users want to access both work and personal information from a single mobile device (AOL CEO Tim Armstong’s three smartphones: Android, iOS and BlackBerry not withstanding)
- Apple iOS 8. At WWDC earlier this year, Apple stated that 98% of Fortune 500 customers are using iOS 8 and they are focused on converting the remaining 2%. Apple went on to outline new enterprise features such as expanded data protection, per message S/MIME support, calendar freetime search and more that are aimed at the enterprise.
- Windows Phone 8.1: Rolling out this month, Windows Phone 8.1 offers a number of new enterprise features including S/MIME and Virtual Private Network capabilities.
The next version of Google Android, “L”, was announced at the Google IO conference two weeks ago and is scheduled to include new enterprise features referred to as “Android for Work.” In case this sounds familiar, Google has been down this path before with 3LM and Enterproid Divide. However, this time around Google is leveraging Samsung Knox technology to separate work and personal data. Today, BlackBerry is the only smartphone solution with native capabilities to keep work and personal data separate via BlackBerry Balance. Data separation on Apple iOS and Google Android typically requires third party solutions (e.g. Airwatch, MobileIron, Fiberlink MaaS360, Samsung Knox, Good Technologies etc.). With the introduction of Android L, that could change and I’ll be eager to try the new capabilities when Android “L” is released in the fall.