I returned from the National Retail Federation (NRF) “Big Show” in New York City last week. IBM had one of the largest booths on the expo floor and showcased a wide range of Smarter Retail and Smarter Commerce solutions. A few of the key highlights:
- IBM keynote session “Unique and Distinct: The New Customer Experience” by Terry Jones,
- Chairman, Wayblazer, Founder, Travelocity.com and Founding Chairman, Kayak.com and John Mesberg, IBM General Manager, Smarter Commerce / Smarter Cities. A summary of the keynote can be found on IBMCIA.com
- Demos of the first wave of IBM MobileFirst for iOS apps including sales assist and pick & pack
- Power of Insight (the retailer perspective) Understand trends and lifestyle changes by securing and using variety of data (IoT, social, images, on-line, transactions) and apply analytics and cognitive computing to identify on-trend categories, product affinities and new areas for growth. Dynamic consumer segmentation can determine best ways to engage based on individuals’ lifecycle needs, lifetime value.
- The New Storefront (the consumer perspective) Bring the excitement, interactivity and engagement of on-line commerce into stores in real-time, in-context, and gather insights from physical and digital worlds to understand and interact seamlessly with customers. Dynamically adjust to consumers’ lifestyle needs, wants and aspirations, and deliver flexible engagement, order and fulfillment options, including co-developing products and producing on demand.
- Fulfill on Demand (the retailer perspective) Supply chain is the next competitive battlefield, where omni-channel retailers have advantages over pure-plays and other disruptors. Orchestrate operations, marketing and merchandising to grow sales across channels, and how to optimize store and supply chain fulfillment strategy and ensure flexible infrastructure via Cloud Computing.
IBM Solution Demonstration – the ‘How’
- Customer Intelligence (Business Analytics)
- Omni-Channel Merchandising (ExperienceOne – DemandTec)
- Marketing (ExperienceOne – Unica, Xtify, Silverpop)
- Customer Experience (ExperienceOne – Coremetrics, TeaLeaf)
- Commerce (WebSphere Commerce)
- Inventory Optmization (Decision Optimization)
- Order Management (Sterling)
- Point of Commerce (Toshiba)