I purchased an iPhone XS Max (256GB, Gold) from Verizon and I highly recommend it. I upgraded from the iPhone 7 Plus which I was a big fan of. The iPhone XS Max is better in every way and easily the best phone I’ve ever owned – albeit at a high price tag.
I also considered the XR to save money ($1249 vs $899 – 40%) but there were features of the XS Max that won me over including a larger, 1080p+ OLED screen, Gigabit LTE, 3D Touch, 7.7% thinner than the XR. In addition, since I only get a new phone every two years, I decided to splurge.
- Premium materials (e.g. stainless steel) and construction
- Beautiful OLED screen; better than 1080p
- Gigabit LTE
- Excellent cameras including a dual lens rear-facing camera with 2x optical zoom
- Speedy performance, fast Face ID
- Size of the phone is perfect and 15% narrower (but seems like more) than the iPhone 7 Plus I had previously making it easier to use with one hand.
- 64GB base storage is unacceptable for a $1099 phone. No 128GB option like XR.
- 5W charger included in the box is unacceptable for a $1099 phone that supports fast charging. A fast charging plug should be included.
- 3% heavier than my iPhone 7 Plus (but seems like more)
Accessories I’ve purchased and recommend
- Spigen Ultra Hybrid Crystal Clear Case. Inexpensive, well made and shows off my gold phone. I had the identical case on my Nexus 5X.
- Tethys Glass Edge to Edge Screen Protector. Doesn’t have a cutout for the notch and includes a plastic guide to make installation a snap.
- Yootech Wireless Charger Qi-Certified 7.5W Wireless Charging. Inexpensive, highly rated, works through my case and I don’t have to fumble with plugging in a Lightning cable.
- Quick Charge 3.0 AUKEY 18W USB Wall Charger. Reasonably priced and well made.
- Mpow Upgraded Air Vent Car Phone Mount. My previous magnetic holder doesn’t work with iPhone XS’s glass back and my clear case. The Mpow works great and is inexpensive.